Friday, August 24, 2012

Vietnamese Volkswagen

From Hermanos in Greenhills located in the parking lot of a Petron, to that famous pasta joint in Makati located on top of a Petron, it is safe to say that food served in close proximity to a Petron gas station has a decent chance of being good. When I pulled into the Petron on Katipunan and saw this little food stop, I had to try. I've been craving Vietnamese grub ever since I moved here, the closest thing was the Pho I made at home, other attempts at Vietnamese food here have ended in disappointment.
 
 
Some of my favorite food back in California comes out of food trucks. This isn't exactly a truck, and i'm not sure if its even mobile, but i'm hungry and waiting for an oil change, so what the f*ck.
 

 
 A little Banh Mi 101 from the people at "The Banh Mi Stop"
 

 

I like a simple menu, it makes it easier for me to order with my below average reading ability. The sign on the bus said "Banh Mi" so I already knew that was what I was going to order. I decided on the grilled pork; pork always pairs nicely with a hangover.

  
The good: This thing was big. Bigger than the usual Vietnamese sandwich I am accustomed to. I thought about cutting it in half and giving the other piece to Mia, but the oil change took a little longer than expected. The inside parts of the sandwich (pork, veg, pate, and sauces) were pretty close to spot on. It was a little over sauced, but since the flavor was nice, I didn't mind.
 
The bad: The bread. A good french bread should have a firm crust on the outside and a soft inside. This bread had neither. It was very much the same density throughout making it similar in texture to a hoagie.
 
Overall I did enjoy this Banh Mi. For php 150 it was a substantial sandwich and more than enough for lunch. I would go there again, maybe I'll bring my own bread next time. See you soon at The Banh Mi Stop.