Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Mexican Food Search Over: Hermanos

Let me preface this by saying that the best Mexican food in the Philippines can be found in Cebu at Maya Mexican Restaurant. I forgot to bring my camera when we ate there so I'll have to blog about that at a later time, however, if you are in Cebu please check them out... http://theabacagroup.com/maya-cebu/

Now. After over a year of trying different Mexican spots all over Metro Manila and Luzon (Orale' Fort, Chihuahua Makati, Ristra's Greenhills, B&T Ortigas, Iguanas Angeles, Agave, Cantinas, Mexicali, etc.) I can honestly say there is only one place I would go to if I need something resembling Mexican food.


Hermanos Taco Shop reminds me a lot of the hole-in-the-wall joints all over California. It isn't great, but we aren't looking for the Taqueria experience I grew up with, just a good percentage of it, and Hermanos fits the bill.


The menu isn't too overloaded like most places in the Philippines. Honestly every time I walk into a restaurant I expect to see a burger, fried chicken, and some sweet spaghetti on the Menu, I was glad to see them keep it simple. I thought about getting the carne asada fries but I was scared that they might use camote (sweet potato) instead of the regular russet


Carne Asada burrito: Easily the best burrito I've had in this country. I shared the other half w/ Mia and was still pretty full. It was a little bland, but I blame Mia for asking for the salsa and sour cream on the side. I think it could use a little more herb or heat, but I generally think that about everything.


Carne Asada nachos: The good part is that there was plenty of it, and after that burrito ,finishing off this plate was a task indeed. Also they had fairly decent chips and guac. The bad news is the cheese, watered down nacho cheese and shreds of quick melt. I can accept the usage of nacho cheese over melted jack simply due to the costing of such ingredients, but quickmelt cheese should be banned from existence, I flat out hate the stuff. I probably won't order this again.


The damage wasn't too bad considering the quantity. When we go back we'll definitely get another burrito, but probably order the tacos instead. That being said its hands down the best Mexican food on the island, you can try to argue otherwise, but you will lose that argument.