Friday, June 29, 2012

SESO

Been awhile since I've been able to post, I'm sure both of our followers have been waiting eagerly for some updates. I finally finished culinary school, the final week was a restaurant simulation. I was fortunate to be one of the few chefs selected as sous chef to run the kitchen for my designated night. This proved to be a tough, yet fun experience for me. I was really happy how my team came together and did a fantastic job when our number was called. Here are some pictures from restaurant week.

Restaurant name was "SESO" which means "sense" in Spanish. With a Spanish theme menu, it seemed appropriate.

Appetizer: Potato and bacon croquette on top of an onion confit (onions sauteed in butter with sherry and basalmic vinnegar).

Amuse Bouche: Tuna ceviche (diced tuna with a citrus marinade) on top of squash puree topped with a daikon radish slaw (daikon radish julienned with a vinnegar / sugar dressing) and micro greens finished with a soy caramel sauce (soy sauce reduced and mixed with honey).

Soup: Roasted Garlic Soup, poached quail egg on top of garlic toasted crouton, with garlic foam.

First Course: Spicy lamb sausage over bean fabada (beans stewed in hock and chorizo stock) with a fig basalmic sauce.

Intermezzo: Grape Grenita, grapes with lime juice and sugar frozen then shaved.

Main Course: Pork loin stuffed with spinach, pecans, and raisins cooked suvee for 14 hours on top of a Potato Mille Feuille (thin sliced potatos stacked, baked, then seared). Salt roasted beet salad with sherry vinegrette and sauteed mushrooms. Strawberry demi-glace sauce (reduced brown stock with strawberry)

Dessert: Creme Catalan. A creme brulee, pineapple compote (which I secretly kicked up with brandy when our head chef was out of the kitchen) vanilla ice cream over crushed pistacio. All topped with a tuille cookie. Finished with a mango and a strawberry puree.

Congrats to my entire class. After 8 months I can say that I learned as much from my classmates as I did from my chef instructors. While I won't miss waking up at 6am, I will miss being in class with you all.